Skip to content
- I have finally found a good lighting solution for my sound stage. Lithonia Lighting is now selling linkable LED strips. The 4-foot ones are 3200 lumens. You buy a power cord for one and linking cords for the rest, and you only need one outlet. They are silent, compact, and easily mountable. They have a color temperature of 4100K. I’m not sure how many I will end up using, but I will definitely want more than one. I guess I need to finish the sound stage and start using it.
- I basically have a new job with my employer. As expected, I have been assigned full-time to the product group for which I received an emergency knowledge transfer. Less expected, I have been given the responsibility of leading the other two guys on the team. This is a good opportunity for me, and I plan to make the best of it.
- I bought a truck. It is a 2008 Ford Ranger FX4, a seven year newer version of the Ranger I had before. Everything works, and it runs significantly better than my last truck. I can do truck stuff again, and it’s amazing to me how many things I had mentally put on hold for lack of a truck. Camping, hunting, vacation, cycling, filmmaking, woodworking, and lawn care were all impacted by it. I look forward to becoming acquainted with the new truck. I sold the Corolla a couple days later. That whole episode is now behind me.
- The electronics work I’m doing has made me realize I’m using the same cheap Radio Shack soldering iron I’ve had since my teens. It works, but I can afford something better now. So, I’ve splurged, and I’ve acquired a real soldering iron, a Weller WESD51 digital soldering station. I can’t wait to use it.
- I’ve also acquired my first wireless lavalier microphone system, a Sennheiser EW 100 G3 system. I am really quite happy and impressed with it, and when they say broadcast quality, they seem to mean it. It came with an ME 2 microphone, which is not very great. However, when I attach a good dynamic mic to the plug-on transmitter, I can really appreciate the quality of the wireless transmission. My next purchase will be a Sanken COS-11D lavalier microphone. Then I’ll want to expand the system to handle two actors.
- My new role at work is going to expose me to some technologies that are new to me, including Citrix Xen, VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V, and Nagios. Oh, and Globalscape EFT. There are other technologies I hope I never have to deal with, including Delphi and Modula-2. I took my first dive into Nagios last weekend, and this weekend I hope to dig into Citrix XenDesktop. I really should build a crash system at home that I can use to play with different operating systems.